1 Lieutenant, 1 Sergeant and 8 Detectives
The function of the Detective Division is to provide advanced investigative skills to identify and apprehend suspects of serious crimes to include most felonies and a number of misdemeanor categories.
The Detective Division employees are involved in the following programs:
- H.E.A.T. – Help Eliminate Auto Theft
- Operation Lifesaver
- Crime Line of the Roanoke Valley
- Roanoke Valley Financial Crimes Task Force
- Blue Ridge Environmental Crimes Task Force
- Salem Prevention and Planning Team
- Roanoke Valley Public Safety/ Media Co-op
Special Investigations Unit
Composed of three detectives who are tasked with the responsibility of enforcing laws pertaining to narcotics/illicit drugs, vice and organized crime activity. One detective is assigned on a full-time basis to serve with the regional DEA Task Force.
Supervised by the Detective Sergeant and staffed by three civilian records clerks. The unit is responsible for the secure maintenance of all criminal investigative files, and the processing of daily field reports.